Sunday, July 13, 2008

We'll miss you Grandma Dee

This past weekend we spent in Bend for my Grandma Dee's memorial service. She passed away a few days before this last Mother's Day from cancer. Her wish was to have her ashes scattered in the Crooked River Gorge, over by her life-long best friend, Patsy's home. It was a great time, considering the circumstances. We were able to see the Duncan side of the family, of which I see only about every 3-4 years. We got to Pat's house right around 5pm and chit-chatted with family for a while, ate dinner, and then gathered to reminisce. We then drove over to the gorge to spread her ashes and through big slice of chocolate cake over the edge.

What an amazing woman my Grandma was. Of all the grandkids, my brothers and I were probably the closest to her. Growing up, I really can't recall a single Saturday where Rob and I didn't hang out with her while my parents worked. We would do all sorts of fun things with her...go out to eat, swim in her pool, go for walks, go shopping, etc. etc. I also remember going on a number of trips with her. One particular trip that especially stands out was our trip to Bend many many years ago. I specifically remember camping wth her and Patsy, and Patsy's grandkids. We also went to several museums, hikes, shopping in Sisters, so much more.

As I got older and when Grandma moved away to Joseph, obviously we weren't able to do as much cuz of the distance, but from time to time I would talk to her on the phone. What a positive woman she was. I don't think I ever heard any negative or pesimistic words ever come from her mouth, even through this last year filled with chemo, hair loss, and just plain not feeling well.
And really, if I think more about it, Grandma Dee was probably the greatest woman role model in life, next to my mom. From her I've learned to always have a sense of humor, even in the toughest situations. On the lighter side, from her I've learned:
To have an appreciation for my big butt and small boobs,
To paint with oils (oh what an artist she was),
To always sit up straight,
To swim,
To appreciate a good hamburger from Wendy's,
That it's vital for a woman should be strong, confident, and smart
And last but not least, to SHOP!

Oh what a beautiful, strong, independent, and classy lady she was. She was my favorite Grandma, and we'll all miss her deeply. God bless you Grandma Dee.

No comments: