Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Andrea's "30" for my next 30

Ok, so most people that know me, know that I'm having a very difficult time turning 30 (in just a few days). And I can't pinpoint any particular reason why this is hitting me so hard. I mean really, I have a great life. I'm happily married, have 2 great kids, own a house, have a decent job, etc. etc. In fact I made a list back in college of all my goals that I'd like to accomplish in the next several years and I'm pretty sure that if I dug that list up again, most of them would have a check next to them. Perhaps it's because I've done so much in my life so far and I keep asking myself, "ok, so now what?" Or maybe it's just because 30 seemed so old back in the day. I suppose it's just the fear of the unknown.
On a completely different note however, I'm actually starting to get a little excited about getting older. Everybody keeps telling me "30 is the new 20", or "you'll love your 30s because that's when you start to truely know yourself". And I guess I'm starting to believe them. Afterall, I think I'm the most comfortable I've ever been in my own skin. I look at a people I know that are a few years younger and think "wow, I really didn't know jack-sh**". Plus, I'm only 30. This sense of clarity will only get better as time goes on.
So, with all of this tumbling through my mind the past couple months, I decided to do 2 things. First, I'm going to celebrate my birthday with a big party this Saturday night with friends and family (no kiddos). Second, being one of those "list people", I decided to make a list of 30 things I want to do, accomplish, whatever in my next 30 years (ok, so there are actually 31 things, but I couldn't leave 1 of them out). This was so fun to make and think about, and I tried to make these things about me, not the kids or my hubby which consume 99% of my life.
So, here 'tis in no particular order:

1. Raise healthy and happy kids
2. Coach a team
3. Teach a class of some sort
4. Become actively involved with a charitable organization
5. Buy a kiln and take up pottery again
6. Paint a picture and hang it up in the house!
7. Make a quilt
8. Lose 15 more lbs and maintain
9. Get a pool
10. Grow a garden
11. Get a tattoo
12. Get out of major debt
13. Buy a boat and/or jet skis
14. Continue to work for self, build high profit business while kids are young
15. Figure out what I want to be when I grow up/do something I genuinely love (job-wise)
16. Retire early
17. Swim with dolphins
18. Parasail
19. Go up in a hot air balloon
20. Learn to ski
21. Catch a fish at Pike’s Place Market
22. Girl’s trip to NY, go to a Broadway show
23. Mardi Gras in New Orleans
24. R&R on a warm beach and have drinks brought to me (Mexico, Hawaii)
25. Find true paradise in far off tropical place (Virgin Islands, Fiji, wherever)
26. Go on Honeymoon we didn’t go on/Romantic vacation with hubby
27. Vegas trip with friends
28. Disneyland with kids
29. Italy/European tour
30. Go on warm and cold (Alaska) cruise
31. Grow a backbone, learn that it’s ok to be confident

No comments: